How the First Completely Organic, non-GMO Carob Chips and Bars began.
My mom used to make and sell carob nut-cluster candies when I was growing up. But, in the early 2000’s she stopped making them because all of her suppliers began using Genetically Modified (GMO) ingredients in the melting carob she used as a base. Not only that, but they began using cheap oils and sugars which turned her once healthy candy into something no longer fit to eat.
Then, a couple years ago, I heard about a new organic carob farmer from Australia. He selected special trees for their sweet carob pods. Most carob trees are grown for the bean, which is used to make industrial products and thickening agents and the carob pod is considered to be just a by-product and mostly used for animal feed. But, his trees produced thick pods that produced extra sweet carob.
After tasting this new carob, I knew we had to make carob candy out of it. The flavor was far superior to any other carob and there was just no Organic carob chips or bars on the market.
That is how Uncommon Carob began.
To complement this new sweeter carob, we sourced organic oil from the most sustainably managed plantations and chose the highest quality organic coconut sugar for our sweetened products. Nothing on the market would be anywhere close to the quality and taste of this new, truly uncommon carob.
After spending time in the test kitchen perfecting the recipe and creating custom one-of-a-kind production equipment in our fabrication shop, Uncommon Carob was finally ready for the world.
The positive reviews that keep pouring in, have blown me away. Even hardcore chocolate lovers, come back for seconds of this truly Uncommon Carob.
~ Benjamin Brewer, Carob-Maker and Innovation Team Lead
The Uncommon Carob Difference
- Uncommon Carob has introduced the first 100% organic melting carob on the market.
- All others contain GMO ingredients and are grown using chemicals.
- Because of our sweet carob variety, no sugar is needed to make a very tasty carob. In fact, our Unsweetened Bar is our most popular flavor. This is a huge plus for anyone trying to limit their sugar intake while still wanting to enjoy a satisfying treat.
- For those who prefer a little sweeter carob; we use a touch of organic coconut sugar. This high-quality natural sweetener is considered by many to be the healthiest of the sugar options.
- Others carob products use 3 to 4 times the amount of added sugar as the Uncommon Carob sweetened flavors. And their sugars are cheap white sugars (likely from GMO sugar beets).
- Oil is a significant ingredient in melting carob. It is also a huge contributing factor to our health, both positive and negative. Other carob products often get a bad wrap for using cheap hydrogenated oils which can lead to all sorts of health issues. We wanted to make sure our oils were chosen for their positive health contributing factors. Many health professionals are now advocating the need for more healthy saturated fats in our diet. Uncommon Carob uses Organic Palm Oil Stearin, which is nearly all saturated fat.
- Ordinary palm oil has gotten a lot of bad publicity lately, and rightly so, for its contribution to destroying vast acres of rainforests. Uncommon Carob’s supplier of Organic Palm Oil, was chosen for being the most environmentally active company we could find. No rainforests were destroyed in its production. They have earned an impressive number of environmentally friendly and humanitarian certifications.
- Carob pods come from locust trees. These trees are a valuable crop for their bean that is made into “Locust Bean Gum”. You can see this ingredient on many labels as a thickening agent. It also has many industrial uses. This makes the bean far more valuable than the edible pod. So growers plant orchards to harvest the bean. It then makes sense that cultivars are selected for the most seeds. The left-over skinny pods on these carob bean trees are a by-product, sold mostly for animal consumption, or for making the so-so carob products we’ve become familiar with.
- The carob we use in Uncommon Carob is sourced from an organic farmer whose passion is to grow the sweetest, tasty pods possible. (The beans become the by-product.) This farmer’s care is evident in the drastically better-tasting carob flour he produces from the exceptional pods.
- Uncommon Carob is a family business, and we stand behind our quality.
- We have been loving and making carob products since the 1980’s, and we’re happy to share this superb product with you.
- We wanted our carob to be really smooth and creamy — not like the old chalky or gritty carob we remember from when we were kids. But, carob
is unique. There are no off-the-shelf machines made for carob, nor are there any recipes or processes detailed out like there are in the chocolate world. So, we built our own custom grinding and processing machines, bar-molding and chip-making lines, cooling tunnels, and wrapper and packaging machines. They are all food-grade and stainless steel, custom tailored for an end product that’s superior in every way to anything on the market.